Followers

Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Upcycle-recycle what's the difference?

Two different phrases but are they the same?  I'm easily confused :o)  Just like fussy cutting, is that cutting out to the line or is leaving a small border around the image?  Sigh! so difficult for me to work it out lol

I haven't made a card for these challenges, I've made a gift box instead

Shopping our stash #167 to use crimpers  or corrugated card

Papertake Weekly anything goes with the option recycle/upcycle

The Outlawz Challenges Saturday's Paper a la Mode to use lace and pearls

My husband, Adrian, loves liquorice and each year for Christmas I buy him a box of liquorice fudge from Lakeland Plastics. It comes in these gorgeous corrugated card boxes tied with a black ribbon.  I save the boxes as they are really good for dressing up.  They measure 5"x 5" so they're a good size for filling up with a selection of small items


I used X-Cut Ornate Frames dies with some pink and ivory pearlescent card for the top of the box and adhered it using Pinflair Glue Gel.  I find it best for bigger areas as it will bed down into the grooves of the card.  I also used it to attach a brooch from Crafty Individuals.  I love these brooches for embellishments once I've taken the pin from the back.  They have a lovely enamelled lustre to them



While I was waiting for the glue gel to dry I sat and hand stitched a string of pearls to the top of some cotton lace. So therapeutic! I used Glossy Accents to attach the lace and pearl border around the sides of the lid as it is fast drying and a good strong glue for things like the pearls. To finish it off I used some flat backed pearls to the corners of the die cut toppers and made a small bouquet of ribbon flowers and ribbon which I threaded through a hole in the lid and secured it on the inside. 

I hope you like the finished box


5 comments:

  1. Wow-- very lovely! Really like the pink with the color of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic project Margaret! What a great way to re-purpose the box! Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping Our Stash for the "Don't Crimp My Style" challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Margaret! This is very nicely done! The boxes are really nice. I have only remnants of a box like now, but I am clinging to pieces for dear life because they make nice projects. Thanks for playing on our street here at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Margaret, it me again! Lovely, lovely work. Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at Shopping Our Stash! Great way to reuse this pretty box.
    Hugz,
    Chana, DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is lovely! Thanks for mentioning the glue name :) Sometimes I too face the problem of adhering in grooves and you hand stitched the pearls on the lace! What a wonderful work Margaret! It looks so nice and the rose bouquet is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete