Followers

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Doodle Page

For quite a long time I have been following Lori Vliegen on her blog Elvie Studio. She is a fabulously talented art journaller (if there is such a word lol) I am absolutely in awe of the amazing pages she does in her many themed journals.  If there is one thing that I'm not and that is a legible writer so when Lori decided to do an on line class Doodle Page I decided to give it a try.  I have found it difficult to create letters of the same size (Lori provides all the practice sheets for you to print off) but have persevered to the point of having a go at my very first art journal page.  As I found it so much easier (but still difficult lol) to do small lettering I did a small 4" x 3" page in a tiny journal I made using watercolour board and my Bind-it-All.  I kept it very simple and here it is, my first attempt at art journalling

I am entering this into the Word Art Wednesday #125 challenge


I used a 2B pencil to write the words and sketch the cross.  I then used Derwent Aqua Tone, which are solid pencils of water colour paint, and a water brush to paint the cross, corners and the light behind the cross, waiting for each element to dry before starting the next. A heat gun speeds up this process nicely :o)  I then went over the pencil lines using Letraset fine liner pens and then erased any remaining pencil lines. Using a 2B pencil I drew a shadow line to the lettering , cross and corners.  To soften the shadow I used a paper stump to blend the lines. I was quite happy with the finished result so decided to up scale the design in another journal that I made a while ago where I mainly do pages for the Word Art Wednesday challenges using my paper crafting techniques.  Unfortunately I have been very remiss in creating pages for a good while now.  I didn't do a very good job of centralising the lettering and the cross ended up being very close to the wires of the journal which I had also made using my Bind-it-All.  I still need to do a lot of practice for larger designs but because I am determined to be able to do them to my satisfaction I have bought myself a Rangers journal to use just for Art Journalling


6 comments:

  1. your journal pages turned out fabulous, margaret, and i think they're perfect for word art wednesday! your lettering is so pretty, and you did a great job with your shading….makes everything look so dimensional! thanks again for joining me in the classroom….i appreciate it so much!! i hope you continue to have a great time playing in your journals! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement and positivity, Lori xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Margaret ! Your pages are wonderful ! The design of your cross and the beautiful colours are so striking. I have always liked looking at art journaling but have never had the courage to try as I really cannot draw! You have really inspired me today so maybe I should gather up some of my son's art materials and have a go ! Looking forward to seeing more journal pages from you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I felt as you do, I'm hopeless at drawing and never had any faith in my ability to be able produce anything worthwhile. I've a long way to go to be anywhere near lori's standard but this little design has given me a boost in the right direction. Go for it, Susan, if I can do it so can you :) xx

      Delete
  3. Well as far as I can see you are extremely talented and I, for one, hope to see more of your pages. This picture truly is worth 1000 words. Thank you for joining us this week at Word Art Wednesday. Blessings, Carole

    ReplyDelete